Ingredients: (for ½ kg fish meat):
2 tsp salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornstarch
2 tbsp baking powder
½ cup iced water
¼ tsp monosodium glutamate (MSG), optional
stove, turner, trays,
casserole, colander, food processor/grinder,
frying pan (carajay), measuring cup, weighing scale,
knives, measuring spoon, plastic sealer,
chopping board, mixing bowl
1. Wash fish, split into butterfly fillet and eviscerate. Wash and drain.
2. Separate fish meat from skin and bones and chop finely.
3. Add salt to fish and mix evenly. Gradually add flour, cornstarch, baking powder and MSG (optional) and mix well.
4. Add iced water and mix well until a thick homogenous paste is obtained.
5. Form into balls and allow to set in water for 2 hours.
6. Cook in boiling water. When balls float, they are already cooked.
7. Transfer fish balls in perforated trays or colander and cool to room temperature.
8. Pack the fish balls in polyethylene bags with weights of ¼ kg to 1 kg per pack.
9. Store the product in a chiller or freezer.
¾ cup water
½ tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp patis
½ tbsp flour
2 tbsp sugar
¼ tsp black pepper
Combine all the ingredients and cook in medium heat with constant stirring (5-10 minutes).
Source: ITDI, DOST, photo courtesy of bfar.da.gov.ph